Teslim Ibitoye a victim of police brutality has appealed to Osun state panel of inquiry on human rights abuses and other related matters to compel police authority to release the corpse of his younger brother Ibitoye Akeem who was allegedly killed by a police officer at Erinle Osun State in April 2017.
Aside the request of the release of the corpse of Ibitoye Akeem,the petitioner also asked for Justice and proper medical care in abroad from the government noting that he is still battling with the pains of live bullets in his spinal cord which have not been successfully removed since 2017
While narrating how the incident happened on the 25th of April 2017,the petitioner Teslim Olakunle Ibitoye told the panel that one of police officers in the team in erin osun allegedly shot him three times and his younger brother Ibitoye also shot and died on the spot at their uncle’s house
Confronting the police team for the brutality melted out on him and the killing of his brother,Teslim Ibitoye alleged police of calling them kidnappers.
The petitioner explained that he approached osun state high court for Justice but it was struck out without any justifiable reason
It was against this background that the petitioner Teslim Ibitoye and the wife of the deceased kafayat Ibitoye decided to approach the osun panel for Justice.
Petitioner alleged that police authority deliberately decided not to release the corpse of his younger brother since 2017 believing that the corpse will used against them as evidence in court of law.
He therefore asked passionately the panel to mandate the police authority to release the withheld corpse for burial which has been in asobiaro morgue since 2017.
He said the incident had physically deformed him as he had sustained gunshot injuries all around his body and had thrown the family into everlasting sorrow and irreparable loss.
Ibitoye who was on the verge to crying but tried to hold back his tears, said he needed to be taken overseas for immediate medical operation to remove the bullet from his body.
He added: “On this fateful day, my younger brother and I went to see our cousin, one Mr. Nureni at Erin-Osun. Though we didn’t meet him at home, when we called him, he asked us to wait for him. But immediately he joined us, all I heard were gunshots. I couldn’t phantom were the gunshots were coming from. All I could remember was that I suddenly became unconscious.
“The three of us were taken into the vehicle i.e. myself, the corpse of my brother who died immediately and our cousin. It was when I was laid in the vehicle that I partially woke up and saw the policemen who were accusing us of kidnapping.
“I was taken to the hospital immediately and when I regained consciousness, we were taken to the Police State Command, Osogbo, where the then Commissioner of Police ordered proper medical treatment.
“But to my surprise, after few weeks, some officers sneaked us out of the Command and I was taken to Abuja where I spent few days.
“When I got to Abuja, I was handed over to Abba Kyari, the head of Police Intelligence Response Team, who, after seeing my health condition, asked them to take me to the hospital. I was eventually admitted at General Hospital, Gwagwalada, Abuja, where I spent several days on sick bed.
“I was discharged from the hospital on the 1st of August, 2017 after which I was taken to State Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) Headquarters where I spent two weeks before I was eventually released.
“We took the matter to the High Court, Osogbo, after my release but I was not satisfied with the judgement as the matter was struck out unjustly. Though the interpretation of the judgement was that our arrest at that material time was because of the proliferation of kidnapping.
“So, we have come here to seek justice. Our hope lies heavily on the outcome of the panel on this case, because the corpse of my brother is still in police custody since 2017, close to four years.
“I am appealing to the panel to prevail on the police authorities to release the corpse to us and arrange how I will be flown abroad to receive medical operation because since the incident occurred, I have been carrying a life bullet in my spinal cord, and all efforts to get it operated in Nigeria proved abortive; and I have been advised to go overseas for the operation.”
The petitioners further appealed to the panel to award them reasonable compensation to cuushion the effect of all that had happened to them.
The panel had on the adjourned date directed the two parties through their counsel to visit and confirm if the corpse was still in the morgue, at the State General Hospital, Osogbo, where the corpse is preserved.
At the resumed hearing on Thursday, the Counsel for the respondent, Barrister J. Idoko, confirmed the existence of the corpse at the morgue, a claim that was affirmed by the petitioners.
Following the absence of the counsel to the petitioner, Adesiyan Kehinde,the panel adjourned til 4th of march 2021 for further hearing.

Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button